Ok, it’s time for my top secret chili recipe. Just kidding, it’s not much of a secret though it IS different each time I make it since I always switch up the types of beans and tomatoes I use. So it’s more of a “no recipe” recipe. But the basic ingredients are always there: meat, onion, garlic, tomatoes & beans.
I usually throw everything together in the slow cooker in the morning and let it simmer until lunch or dinner. It always tastes even better the next day, I swear! Not sure what it is about chili, but it gets more flavorful a day or two after I make it. Also, you can freeze the extras!
Part of my SHOP ONCE, MAKE 10 FREEZER RECIPES project.
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 1 lb. ground beef OR turkey, browned and drained
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 4 or 5 cans of tomatoes (I use a bunch of different types: stewed, diced, chopped, Italian-style)
- 3 or 4 cans of your favorite beans (I usually end up with a mix of chili beans, drained black beans, and drained kidney beans)
- Chili powder, to taste (I probably use 1 or 2 Tbs., depending on the batch)
- Optional: bread bowl, toppings such as sour cream, crackers, shredded cheese, Fritos
WHAT YOU DO:
Combine meat, onion, garlic, tomatoes, beans, and chili powder in a slow cooker (or a pot on the stove). Heat until it just starts to boil then reduce heat to low, and simmer until you’re ready to eat it. Before serving, top with your favorite toppings.
To freeze: Ladle chili into freezer-safe containers, label, and freeze for up to 3 months.
ALSO… If you have cream cheese and shredded cheese, you could use this chili in an awesome 3-ingredient baked Chili & Cheese dip!