I have seen tons of recipes for “Crack Potatoes” on Pinterest; I guess they are so good they are addictive. So I guess due to the peer pressure and since EVERYONE’S doing it (just kidding) I decided to try them.
So I made a batch, but I substituted plain Greek yogurt in place of sour cream. I’m sure the cheese, bacon, and potatoes still have lots of bad-for-you calories and fat, but at least I saved a *tiny* amount with the yogurt. At least that’s my excuse lol. It’s a lightened-up version but I’m sure it’s still way unhealthy.
Here’s a clean eating option for potatoes: Lemony Dill Mustard Smashed Potatoes
But back to the crack ‘taters. Here’s what I ended up with…
recipe adapted from justaddasliceoflove.blogspot.com
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 4 c. plain Greek Yogurt
- 3 c. shredded cheese (I used 2 c. colby jack + 1 c. sharp cheddar)
- 1 (3 oz.) jar real bacon bits
- 1 pkg. Ranch Dip mix
- 1 bag (28-30 oz) frozen shredded hash browns, thawed just enough so you can break them up to mix with the other ingredients.
WHAT YOU DO:
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir until mixed.
- Spread into a 9×13 pan lined with foil (or sprayed with cooking spray), and bake for approximately 50-60 minutes.
- Optional: sprinkle a little shredded cheese on top before serving.
TIP: Buy a super giant container of plain Greek yogurt at Costco, Sam’s Club, etc., and use the extras in these recipes…