We had an impromptu taco night, so I thawed some frozen ground beef and tried out a homemade tortilla recipe. It was fun to roll out the dough and the tortillas tasted great! You could also use the tortillas for quesadillas, burritos, gorditas, or even just to dip in salsa.
Here’s what we ended up with…
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 2 1/4 c. all-purpose flour + more for rolling surface
- 1/2 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 3/4 c. vegetable oil
- 3/4 c. warm water
WHAT YOU DO:
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, oil, baking powder, and salt.
- Form dry ingredients into a mountain and make a hole (“volcano”).
- Pour water and oil in the hole and mix.
- When dough is firm, gently knead on a flat surface.
- Break off golf ball sized pieces, and roll into balls.
- Place dough balls on a floured baking sheet.
- Cover with a damp paper towel and let sit for 30 mins.
- Place dough balls on a floured surface and roll out into 6-inch flat circles.
- Cook on a skillet at medium heat (no oil or cooking spray needed) for approximately 1 min per side (watch for bubbles, sort of like pancakes).
Makes approximately 12-14 tortillas
recipe adapted from hirethestache.com
I can’t wait to make homemade tortillas again and I’m going to serve them in these “taco trucks” that I just ordered. Aren’t they cute?!? 🙂 For now we used some fast food tacos…