Part of my SHOP ONCE, MAKE 10 FREEZER RECIPES project.
Here’s a recipe I used to make some individual-serving burritos. They are great to heat up just one or two at a time. Just heat from frozen in the microwave, and add your favorite toppings!
Cheesy Bean and Turkey Burritos
adapted from tasteofhome.com
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 can enchilada sauce – here’s a recipe for homemade sauce
- 1 can refried beans
- 1 c. black beans, strained and rinsed
- 1/4 c. water
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 4 1/2 Tbs. chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp. Kosher salt
- 4 c. shredded cheddar cheese
- 15-20 flour tortillas (8-inch)
- Optional toppings: black olives, lettuce, sour cream, salsa, lettuce, shredded cheese, tomatoes, etc.
- For freezing: 15-20 paper towels (1 for each burrito), foil (I used a pop-up foil wrapper for each burrito), storage bags
WHAT YOU DO:
In a large skillet, brown the turkey over medium heat until cooked; drain.
Transfer turkey to a large pot, then mix in enchilada sauce, refried beans, black beans, water, onions, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, and cheese. Heat on med-high, until cheese melts then simmer for 20 mins.
Spoon the mixture on to tortilla shells, then roll into burrito shapes. Wrap each burrito in a paper towel, then in foil. Place in a zipper bag (I used a jumbo 2.5 gallon bag, which held all 15 burritos) and label with a permanent marker. Store in freezer.
To reheat, remove burrito(s) from freezer and remove foil. Heat in paper towel in microwave for 2-3 mins.
Makes 15-20 servings.