One of my favorite summer recipes is a mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, basil and olive oil salad. We recently had some leftover crusty garlic bread (I don’t know why, but I hate the word “crusty”) so I made a crostini with fresh mozzarella, cherry tomatoes, basil, and the bread. It was basically the mozzarella and tomato salad on top of garlic-y toasted goodness. Here’s how it turned out:
Fresh Mozzarella, Tomato, and Basil Crostini
WHAT YOU NEED:
- French bread, cut into thin slices (however many slices you need)
- A few Tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 tsp. minced garlic
- 10-20 cherry tomatoes (depending on how many slices of bread you have), chopped
- Fresh basil leaves
- Sliced fresh mozzarella cheese (I used one slice per crostini)
WHAT YOU DO:
- Brush bread slices with EVOO and sprinkle with garlic. Place on a baking sheet. Broil in the oven for 3-5 mins until toasted.
- In a bowl, mix tomatoes, a drizzle of EVOO, and salt and pepper to taste.
- After bread is toasted, place slices on a serving platter. Top with a slice of mozzarella, then tomato mixture. Garnish with fresh basil.