Skinny Reuben Panini – here’s an old favorite comfort food that I lightened up by using turkey and fat free cheese. I cooked this in a panini maker, but you could also use a large skillet and press down with a flat pot lid or a heat-safe plate. It has 315 calories and 7 grams of fat, much less than the typical reuben loaded with corned beef and dressing.
Skinny Reuben Panini
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 2 slices rye bread (I used an 80-cal/slice type)
- 2 slices (approx 1.5 oz) fat free swiss cheese
- 1 Tbps dill mustard
- 2 oz deli-sliced turkey
- 2 Tbsp sauerkraut, drained
- nonstick cooking spray or extra virgin olive oil
WHAT YOU DO:
- Spread mustard on the bread slices, then layer with turkey, cheese, and kraut, making a sandwich.
- Spray panini maker (or skillet) with nonstick cooking spray; or brush bread with a tiny amount of EVOO.
- Place sandwich in, and press down on both sides. Cook until toasted and cheese has melted.