I tried a pasta and cream sauce recipe from The Pioneer Woman, and added a few goodies: red wine, red pepper flakes, and oregano. It was easy and delicious! Here’s how it turned out:
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 2 Tbs. Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 2 Tbs. butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 c. red wine
- pinch of sugar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- sprinkle of dried oregano
- dash of dried red pepper flakes
- 1 2/3 c. heavy cream
- freshly grated pecorino-romano cheese, to taste
- 2-3 Tbs. chopped fresh basil
- 1-1/2 lb. dry pasta
WHAT YOU DO:
Cook pasta according to package directions.
Drain, reserving 1 c. of pasta water, and set both aside.
In the empty pan used to cook the pasta, heat butter and EVOO over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and saute for a couple of minutes.
Pour in tomatoes, red wine, and add sugar and spices.
Stir and cook over low heat for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat and stir in cream. Add cheese to taste, then check seasonings, adjusting if needed.
Stir in pasta, thin with some of the pasta water (if needed). Add chopped basil and serve.