One-Pot Pork Chops with Matchstick Apples & Warm Greens Recipe
I love one-pot meals! Here’s a twist on pork chops and applesauce – instead of applesauce, julienne an apple into matchsticks and toss with chickpeas and warm arugula and spinach.
This recipe makes two pork chops, but you can adjust it of course to make more.
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 2 bone-in pork chops (approx. 9 oz each)
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbs extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/2 cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 5 oz. mixture of arugula and spinach, leaves torn
- 1 Gala apple, cored and cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 Tbs lemon zest (tip: use a rasp grater, or a vegetable peeler to make strips then chop into small pieces)
WHAT YOU DO:
Sprinkle pork chops on both sides with salt (a teaspoon or so), and season with pepper.
Heat EVOO in a large high-sided saute pan over med-high heat. Add pork chops.
Reduce heat to medium, and cook until browned around the edges, about 4 mins. Flip, and cook 3-4 more minutes. Transfer chops to a plate.
Add chickpeas to pan and cook for 2 min. Working in three batches, add arugula/spinach mixture and cook, stirring, adding additional batches as the leaves wilt. Sprinkle with approximately 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt, then season with pepper to taste. Remove from heat, and stir in apple and lemon juice and zest. Serve with chops.
Number of Servings: 2