Lemon Bundt Cake with Simple Lemon Syrup Recipe
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 1 c. unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
- 3 c. all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
- 2 Tbs. finely grated lemon zest
- juice from 2 lemons (1/3 cup fresh juice)
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 1/2 c. sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 c. sour cream
- Lemon Syrup: 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice + 1/2 cup sugar (Combine ingredients in a small saucepan. Whisk over medium heat until sugar dissolves completely).
- Optional: confectioner’s sugar for garnish
WHAT YOU DO:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour a Bundt pan.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, lemon zest, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar on med-high speed until light and fluffy, 4-5 mins. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each is added; mix in lemon juice.
With mixer on low, alternately add flour mixture and sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture; mix just until incorporated (do not overmix).
Spoon batter into buttered/floured pan and smooth with a rubber spatula. Firmly tap pan on a work surface to level batter.
Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean; 55-60 min (if cake browns too quickly, tent loosely with aluminum foil). Let cake cool in pan 30 minutes, then place on cooling rack.
Before serving, poke holes all over the cooled cake, and brush with lemon syrup. If the cake does not absorb all the syrup at once, allow to sit 15-20 mins before adding any remaining syrup.
To store, wrap in plastic and keep at room temp up to 3 days. Good luck not eating the whole thing by then, ha!
recipe adapted from marthastewart.com